2.02.2012

Blue Valentine

     Between reading Catch-22, Sinclaire's The Jungle, rereading Updike's Rabbit series, watching The Decalogue, and today enjoying a second view of Blue Valentine (2011), it's not been a particularly uplifting season in terms of my more cultured pursuits. With respect to love, that is. I almost think I'm subconsciously gravitating toward the theme of unfulfilled relationships to counterbalance the seemingly unreal utopia of my own (and the danger of all long-distance relationships).
     Valentine's Day is only eleven days away. This is my last chance at not being sappy for a while.
     Here's a poem I wrote in response to today's film of choice. Warning - it's in keeping with the pretty gruesome overtones of its inspiration. Viewer discretion is advised. (I hadn't written a really dark poem in ages. It was very refreshing.)

Blue Valentine

Come to me, sing to me
Blue valentine
A lover's night alone awaits
Blue valentine

The crumbling, sinking smell
Of a tomb past its prime
Deep within its darkness lay
A coddling pantomime

My celibate endeavor
Lasted nigh until the throng
Of angelic voices splitting
The world with their song

I tumbled, thinking only
Of sailing t'ward pink skies
My wake did hail the twilight
And sunder social ties

This stuttering skunk - turned
Prayerful caretaker - stared
Unblinking, stammered
Four words dared,
Made a laird;
Unprepared,
Erred

Oh me, oh my
Blue valentine
None told me love could lie
Oh me, oh my
Sweet valentine
The end I feigned descry

Monogamy now trivial
For others smell our sweat
Slinking softly round the camp
A perpetual threat

Come one! Come all!
See a show of mirthless sin
Here ye! There ye!
The pandering's to begin

Soon the charade is done
Masks broken in the mud
Our eyes meet, lock and
Disdain begins to bud

You've nothing left for me
I resist stubbornly
All for the family
Love's the key
Absently
We plea
Thee

But
My gut
The door's shut
So run
Just run away, away
From the mirage
Be free
Life start
Over
Oh me
Oh my and stop

                                    the

                                                       song

2 comments:

  1. Ok, so I totally made a comment on this post (or thought I did) about a week and a half ago! I'll be sure to always let them verify that I'm not a robot ;) I think that's what the problem was. Also, I'm not sure how good of an internet connection I had before... that may have been a contributing factor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OkieChic, it seems that your comment sank like a rock tossed into the middle of a lake, never to be seen again... How disappointing. Do you remember something of its shape or color?

    ReplyDelete